Are you looking for a reputable and reliable steamer for your wedding dress? Do you want a dependable device that will allow you to remove any wrinkles – whether that be in the weeks leading up to your special day or on the day of?
Well, you’ve come to the right place.
With my wedding day fast approaching, I decided to research the market to find a steamer for my own dress. Besides, my dress wasn’t cheap so I didn’t want to take any risks here!
As a result, I’d like to share with you the steamers that were in contention, and the one I personally opted for and would recommend.
Before I move into the respective pros of each model, here are my top picks:
Best Steamer For Wedding Dress
Here are my top picks for the best steamers for a wedding dress:
- Anthter Professional Steamer.
- KOTLIE Professional Steamer.
- Hilife Handheld Steamer.
Anthter Professional Steamer
The Anthter Professional Steamer is my #1 pick and for many reasons.
This particular unit will heat up in just 35 seconds and will heat to a much-needed 248 °F. This will ensure the steam can penetrate your dress sufficiently, removing wrinkles fast, efficiently, and safely.
It’s also been designed to prevent water leakages and spillages – which are a common cause of stains and water spots.
Of course, for your wedding, this will simply not do.
Another benefit is that this particular steamer works on all types of fabric; so you will be able to use this well beyond your wedding day (it will actually be a long-term investment piece too!)
You can even use it on suits, other clothing, or even household items like bed linens, curtains, or table cloths!
And here’s my favorite feature which sets it apart from other steamers.
The heating panel is made from stainless steel which is naturally anti-rust, and anti-oxidation and will last much longer than other materials, such as aluminum.
What I Like About The Anthter Steamer
- Incredibly quick and easy to set up and install,
- The design gives you a hanger to hang your wedding dress
- Auto-shutoff functionality – which will prevent overheating or breakage due to water storage.
- Large water capacity size – 2.5l which ensures it can steam for up to 90 minutes, continuously, should you need it.
- 3-year satisfaction assurance and warranty
- Great customer support for any queries you may have.
KOTLIE Professional Steamer
My #2 pick and the runner-up is the KOTLIE steamer. This compact device is another one you should certainly consider.
This particular steamer can actually reach 302°F – resulting in faster de-wrinkling. Just bear in mind it is, therefore, more dangerous to work with.
Nevertheless, KOTLIE has designed their steamer with a protective handle and ceramic ironing board which all but eradicates the chances of damage (and therefore makes it ideal for your wedding dress).
Another feature I like is the auto-clean mode which ensures it works optimally and gunk does not collect or clog the air vents.
Lastly, I love the fact that you are provided with an anti-scalding glove to keep you safe and prevent you from being scalded by the hot steam!
What I Like About The KOTLIE Steamer
- Iron and a steamer all at the same time! Can be used interchangeably.
- Three different steaming modes – low, medium, or high depending on how and where you want to use it.
- The design makes it easy to store away when not in use.
- Very well made from quality materials.
Hilife Handheld Steamer
My budget pick is the Hilife Handheld Steamer.
If you are looking for a transportable device that you can use on the morning of your wedding, this could be what you need.
It’s a phenomenal value and is great for dresses that only have a few subtle wrinkles.
Despite being lightweight and having lower wattage/water capacity than the other recommendations above, it provides a lot of steam.
It’s very easy to use, solid, and heats up quickly.
Many brides and bridesmaids have used this particular device with great success too, which is comforting and reassuring to know.
You do just need to be particularly careful with this device as there is no spill protection installed. Tipping the steamer, for instance, can cause leakage.
What I Like About The Hilife Steamer
- Over 70,000 positive customer reviews.
- Incredibly cost-effective
- Small, handheld, and lightweight – easily transportable (fits in a night bag or suitcase) and great for last-minute steaming!
- Ships out fast so you should have it delivered in no time.
How Do You Steam A Wedding Dress?
To steam a wedding dress you need to:
- First turn your steaming device on, giving it sufficient time to warm up (according to the instructions given by the manufacturer or that are true to the device.
- Go in through the inside of your dress and steam from the inside out. You can see how your dress reacts this way. Be sure to steam from a distance of 3-5″.
- Once you have steamed from the inside, you can do a ‘finishing touch’ by steaming any remaining wrinkles on the outside of your dress. Again be sure to keep a distance of 3-5″.
- When steaming, work around an area in a quick circle. Do not hold in one spot as this can cause steamer marks/spots. Work quickly until all of your wrinkles are gone.
- Return back to areas where wrinkles remain, again in a circular motion.
Tips For Steaming Your Wedding Dress
- Always buy a new steamer for your wedding day, and never rely on a hotel or resort steamer. You don’t know when it was last used and when it was last cleaned.
- Always clean the head prior to use with a clean white towel.
- Consider covering the steamer head with a safe fabric, such as a white t-shirt or white towel. This can help collect any water drops that would otherwise leave a mark. It can also keep you protected from the steam.
- Keep a safe distance, and never put any body part to close to, or directly in the steam.
- Don’t forget to steam your veil – just be sure to do so on a low setting and be careful of any decorations that could be damaged.
- If you have a structured dress, consider pressing instead of steaming. Or be extra careful.
- Be careful when you put your dress on – otherwise, you can put all of the wrinkles back in. Generally, it is easiest to put your shoes on first and have someone put your dress over you (while standing on a chair), or have somebody help you get into it.
- Don’t stress – a few wrinkles are natural and may develop as the day ensues anyway. People are not looking for the wrinkles in your dress, nor can you prevent them entirely. Your photographer should be able to adjust the dress or touch up photos should the need arise.
So there you have it – the best steamers that are most suitable for wedding dresses.
When making your choice, first consider the design and how it works. You should ensure you know how you need to use it before putting it anywhere near your dress!
Second, decide if you want this to be a long-term investment or something that you use only for your wedding dress and for this special occasion.
Third, where do you intend to use it? Is this something that you are going to want to use at the venue, or is it something you want to use long in advance of your day and be able to leave at home?
Finally, examine some of the additional features, like the length of any cords or accessories that come included (or will need).
Nevertheless, these steamers have all been used by brides with great success. They all have been hand-selected for being reputable, reliable, and affordable devices that will get any wrinkles out of your dress.
That being said, my recommendation is to get the Anthter Steamer. It is professional-grade, and one of the most expensive garments you will likely ever buy, after all.
Can you steam a wedding dress yourself?
You can steam a wedding dress yourself, so long as you use the right kind of device and do so correctly. It is generally safest to steam from the inside of the fabric without ever touching the steamer directly to the fabric (staying 3-5″ away to protect the dress.
How long does it take to steam a wedding dress?
Steaming a wedding dress can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. It depends on your dress, the style, how many wrinkles need to be removed, and the type of streaming device (how hot it gets, etc.) that you are using.
How much does it cost to get a wedding dress professionally steamed?
It can cost anywhere from $100-$500 to get a wedding dress professionally steamed.
Hey, I’m Allison – a recent bride, an expectant mother and the chief editor here at Everlasting Occasion. Here I document all the knowledge and experience I accumulated while researching and planning my dream wedding and ahead of our new baby. Here, I try to answer those many questions couples have when planning their dream wedding, while equally, helping expectant parents ahead of their new arrival!